Metro Bank first opened its doors in the summer of 2010, the first high street bank to open in the UK in over 100 years. As the UK’s leading challenger bank, Metro Bank, prides itself in offering the very best in service and convenience for its customers nationwide.
To improve brand perception, Metro Bank wished to transform its public facing website, metrobankonline.co.uk, so that it accurately reflected the award-winning bank’s service offering, brand identity and vision to better meet the needs of their customers.
When it comes to personal banking, consumers want easy online transactions across their devices. Metro Bank understood the importance of each customer interaction – including creating new accounts and day-to-day withdrawals. Therefore, the new site had to be be fully responsive on all devices and easy to update and manage for all content editors.
Netcel built the revamped website on the latest version of Episerver, releasing code early and often to give Metro Bank visibility, allowing designs and requirements to be refined or clarified before the next release. This minimised unnecessary development effort while allowing the project to be delivered to the agreed, tight timescales.
Thanks to Netcel’s collaborative, agile process, the sophisticated, large-scale and multi-faceted project was delivered in just five months.
As well as its new appearance and improved user interface, the website has much improved functionality, including:
- Accessibility – The website now meets World Wide Web Consortium level AA requirements for accessibility, and also works with screen readers.
- Device agnostic – It’s now fully responsive, and adjusts to desktop, tablet and mobile displays.
- Editing – Better content management capabilities and an improved structure for brand governance, resulting in more time to create valuable experiences for customers.
- Performance – It’s fast. Without getting into the technicalities, pages will load for 90 per cent of users in under two seconds.
- Personalisation – The website can now detect user location and then deliver personalised content.
- Security – The site has been subjected to thorough security audits and follows strict security and compliance standards.
Public reaction to the new website has been “overwhelmingly positive”, as Metro Bank’s score has already risen from 4.5 to 7.5, in independent ‘Digital Confidence’ tests.
Since relaunch, Netcel have been working on subsequent releases incorporating new requirements and optimisation of existing features such as a mortgage calculator tool.