There’s No Arguing That Display Marketing Has Come A Long Way Since The Internet’s Dinosaur Period
Over the last 18 years the humble banner has diversified into a more engaging range; video, social and rich media ad formats across multiple platforms. The range of digital display ad formats now available, presents an opportunity for brands to connect with consumers at more touchpoints during the consumer journey than ever before. There’s also more expectation from the consumer for brands to have an engagement strategy – an area display can play a key role. This guide sets out to simplify the role of display in the digital mix.
Display advertising plays a crucial role in the online marketing mix. Display, mobile, social and video have been key contributors to digital’s sustained quarterly growth since 2003. UK advertisers spent £1,024.6 million on display advertising alone in the first half of 2014 (H1 2014), with the sector growing 30 per cent year on year. In Europe the expectation is for display advertising to grow by 10.3 per cent CAGR (compound annual growth rate) between 2014 and 2019, climbing to £8.4 billion by 2019.
Display advertising generally falls into two camps. In simplistic terms, display advertising is either branding or performance focused. Brand focused display advertising centres around: brand awareness, product education, product trial, brand favourability, brand engagement and brand consideration. Meanwhile the performance focused display advertising consists of: digital sales, lead generation, website visits, customer calls, footfall and downloads. A good display strategy looks at the entire customer and media picture – evaluating what other channels are live, when they are being seen, who the core consumer is, the brand’s relationship with that consumer and so on.
What Are The Benefits Of Display Advertising?
- Speed: Display advertising is generally quicker to deploy, adapt and pause than any other media.
- Targeting: Hyper-targeted to relevant users based on real time data.
- Coverage: Reach the majority of the global market on multiple devices.
- Formatting: Dynamic delivery of content within ads – video, rich and standard formats.
- Data Measurability: In-depth data allows for improved performance over time.
- Cost: Low-cost means for advertisers to engage with large audiences and established communities.
Tips On The Display Process
- Think about the role display will play in your wider activity– where it fits in, brand awareness, direct response, remarketing and the relevant touch points and messaging necessary
- Analyze the audience you are looking to buy to help you forecast available inventory and potential reach, as well as the cost you are likely to pay for those impressions or audience segments
- Trust in machine learning and give it time to test, learn and adapt after launch
But remember its’ not just about technology. Technology is a powerful tool to gather and process large sums of data but an element of human optimisation is necessary for greater relevancy and context.
- The right ad for the right moments – you can plan for the best campaign but if your creative is poor then you won’t cut through and make an impact. Think about dynamic ad formats that allow for personalisation based on the users journey point to increase relevancy
- Measurement matters, make sure you are tracking the success of a campaign accurately by ensuring you have the right goals set up based on your KPI’s. Use post impression tracking tools to really understand the value of each impression
Online Marketing Services
While display advertising is an important part of the digital marketing mix, an effective digital strategy will make use of a variety of channels that suit your aims and objectives.
However, display advertising, when used in concordance with a number of other online marketing services, such as SEO, display, affiliate and email can have a a real impact on audience expansion, revenue and conversion rates once you can create personalised ads based on consumers where they choose to spend their time and on which platforms.
For more information about display advertising contact Coast Digital by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org